We all love a hack, so today I am coming to you with hacks for your eye make-up, skin care and products.
- Before you apply your make-up, prime your skin with ice cubes. Wrap a couple of ice cubes up in a flannel (preferably a thin one) and rub it gently over your face. Paying extra attention to your most visible pores. The coldness of the ice will help to close your pores and minimise the appearance of them.
- Make your eyelashes set curlier by heating your eyelash curler with a hairdryer. Take your eyelash curlers and heat them for around 10 seconds, allow a few seconds for them to cool slightly and check they are warm and not hot. Then place them over your eyelashes to curl them as usual, like with styling your hair the heat helps to set the eyelash curls more effectively.
- For even more volumized lashes. Wash an old mascara brush, cover it in a light coating of setting powder (talc-free baby powder will also work). After the brush is coated in the powder, take the brush through your lashes to coat them in the powder, ensuring there are no clumps. Then apply your mascara as usual to see your thick and volumized lashes.
- For the best results when applying mascara, ensure you coat each lash to make your eyes look big and your lashes lengthened. To do this use the tip of the brush to coat the inner lashes.
- Enhance your eye color with a colored mascara. I’m not advising you rock neon lashes, but instead, add a glimpse of color. To do this, apply one coat of colored mascara to your lashes. Next, apply a layer of black mascara, leaving around a quarter of the colored mascara showing at the lash line. The colored ring around your eye will draw focus to your eye color.
- Use a pale nude eyeliner to open your eyes and make you appear more youthful. Black eyeliner in your waterline can make your eyes appear smaller – no one wants that. You can also use the same liner under your brows to enhance and neaten the shape.
- For perfect eyeliner every time, use a guide to help you achieve matching cat-eye flicks. Take an old loyalty or business card and hold the card lengthways at an angle from the corner of your eye to the top of your eyebrow for preciseness. Start with drawing a thin line across your eyelid, then draw down the card to meet the line across your eye – this technique can also work with eyeshadow to keep it neat and to create a professional-looking finish.
- Looking to conceal tired eyes? Swap out your black mascara for a navy blue one. The navy blue color still defines your lashes as a black one would, but it also helps to make the whites of your eyes look brighter.
- Cheat your way to a smoky eye look, by creating it with help from a hashtag. Apply a neutral base over your eyelid to begin, next take a brown eyeshadow or pencil and draw a hashtag shape above the outer corner of your eye. Blend this in using your fingertip for a natural look.
- Ever run out of liner at the most inconvenient time? I think we all have. But we never seem to run out of mascara, with this in mind the next time you run out of liner take a thin detail brush or liner brush if you have one. Place the brush in the mascara bottle and use the product as a makeshift eyeliner.
- This is my favourite hack for all my fellow lazy girls. It’s a two in one hack, that can see you get volumized lashes and perfect eyeliner in one. To achieve this, draw a line of eyeliner – I find a pencil works best, along the rim of the curlers (the side which is not cushioned). After the edge is generously blackened, place them on your lashes and you’ll have achieved two jobs at the same time, and even better cut the time in half.
- Make your eyeshadow pop, by covering your eyelid in concealer before applying your eyeshadow. It provides the perfect neutral base, to make the color stand out.
- The best ways to use concealer. Use a liquid eyeliner to conceal make-up mistakes, if your eyeshadow or eyeliner edges go wrong use your concealer to re-shape. To make your lips appear more plump use a concealer to line your lips. Use a concealer in a light shade to highlight, place it in the corner of your eyes, under the tip of your brow and along your cheekbones.
- Create a defined brow in three simple steps. First, brush your eyebrow hairs in an upward direction using a brow brush. Secondly, outline your eyebrow shape with an eyebrow pencil. Third, take a brow powder to fill in your eyebrows, apply the powder in light strokes in a natural direction of hair growth. This will leave your eyebrows with a natural and full look.
- Lessen the appearance of dark circles with this homemade formula. Mix a quarter of a teaspoon of turmeric, with one teaspoon of olive oil (coconut oil can also be used). Apply the mixture under your eyes with a make-up brush, leave the formula on to do its magic for fifteen minutes before washing off. Repeat this twice a week for the best results.
- Make a parsley eye mask, to help reduce puffiness and even help to lighten the skin around your eyes. To make the mask, finely chop the parsley and add a cup of boiling water. Leave it to become warm and place two cotton pads in the formula to soak it up before applying them to your eyes, leave it on your eyes for ten minutes.
- There are many myths as to what can help your eyelashes grow. I’ve tested out olive oil and I have noticed a difference. To use olive oil on your lashes, simply coat a clean mascara wand with a light coating of olive oil and apply it to your lashes before you go to sleep. It is hydrating and will promote growth and healthy lashes.
- Give your old mascara a new lease of life by making it last that little bit longer. To do this add a few drops of saline solution (the type you use for contact lenses) to the mascara bottle. Place the wand back into the solution, give it a good shake, and your mascara will be ready to use.
- To make your powder eyeshadow more pigmented add a little water to the powder before applying it to your eyelid.